Thursday, March 31, 2011

Things that make you go hmmm.

I have a lot questions about life and probably no answers.  Here are some of my random thoughts. 

1.  Why doesn't my dad ...er roommate get it that I only work part time?   He and I have had this conversation on many occasions, but still he questions why I'm home early or why I didn't go to work on a particular day or why I don't work 9-5.   Of course, why am I even asking?  He a. rarely took a vacation in his entire career and those that he did were always work related somehow -- like the hundreds of trips we took as kids where he would drive us through some farm equipment dealer's lot for example.  Or b- retired with over 5 years of sick days built up.  Guess he never heard of that saying:  Use it or Lose it. 

2. Why is it when I'm out with my friend, Jolene, she has roaming eyes.  If I'm talking to her, she doesn't look at me -- she looks around my head, over my shoulders or practically through me to scope out the guy sitting behind me, at the next table, or standing on the other side of the room.  This is very annoying -- and she knows I hate it.   Today we met for drinks at 3 and she did it again -- looking at 21 year olds at the bar.  I might glance at the eye candy, but normally I'm out at the bars to be with my friends -- not to pick up random jail bait boys. 

3. I'm mesmerized by the photos of Japan after the Tsunami. I scan news sites every night to see what is going on over there today.  It makes me said that the Fukushima 50 will die for all their efforts on trying to save the nuclear plants ... what baffles me the most is the clean up.  Like how the hell are they going to get those boats that washed ashore back out to sea?  

Take this boat for example ...  this isn't no tonka toy.  How exactly is that building still standing with that load sitting on top of it?  And why hasn't said boat come tumbling to the ground yet?   And while we're on the topic -- what are they going to do with all that junk now? 

4. So the Japanese Self Defense forces set up a communal bath for the evacuees last week so they could bathe for the first time since the earthquake/tsunami.  I looked at the photos in the NY Times  (I'd snag one, but I'm over my 20 article limit for the month).   I find this a little strange.  I get it that its part of their culture and I even understand the whole "get in a tub with a bunch of naked strangers" concept. (At the fitness club that I used to belong to In Illinois, women would get in the whirlpool naked all the time. The whirlpool was in the women's locker room and I was in my bathing suit) What weirds me out about it is ---  the germs or "other" particles in the water.  I'm sure they overloaded the water with some chemical to kill anything suspicious ... but it's just the thought -- what if you were the 25th person to get in?  Wouldn't you wonder what the first 24 were doing in there?  I guess technically it's no different than bathing in a river or lake -- but at least in a river or lake I can't see through the water to wonder what else is floating in there and I know it's dirty, so any cleansing I'm doing is merely for my vanity ... when you take a "bath" in clear water with soap, a person expects to get um.. clean. 

5.  My allergies are kicking my butt these days. I'm doped up on about 4 different allergy meds.  Some prescription, some not.  Some work when they want to.  Every night, about 10 pm, my eyes start to burn so incredibly bad that I just have to go to sleep because nothing I do makes it feel any better.  

6.  Someday I'm going to be blind.  It may happen sooner than I think.  I had eye surgery in December to correct a double vision problem.  The doctor said it would take several months for my eyes to heal.  It's been 4 now.  I still have double vision.  Not quite as bad as before, but it's definitely still there.  I noticed it the most at work because I have to read a lot of small stuff.   My surgeon told me to go get my eyes checked again because he thought my contacts were too strong -- guess what?  They're not.  In fact, the eye doctor told me that to see 20/20 in my right eye, she'd have to increase the prescription --  I was sad and said no thanks.  

7.  My new cube at work shakes like an earthquake when someone walks down the hall.  It happens about 100 times a day. There isn't anything anyone can do about it because some people just have a really heavy footfall.  I will say that if Mike Holmes came and did an inspection on the building -- it wouldn't pass.  The floors aren't even and slope downward in certain places. The whole building shakes when the wind blows and in the winter, the cold air comes right through the windows.  Shotty construction is all I can say.  

No comments:

Post a Comment