Saturday, May 19, 2012

The number you have dialed is not in service at this time!!

This week I've been contemplating whether I should change my cell phone number or not. I like my number because it's easy to remember and its not a Dubuque number. I've had it since 2005 ... But I have realize as of late that some people have the number that I would really rather not talk to again.  

For example this idiot that I let into my heart twice only to be heartbroken by him more than once.  He always claimed that he didn't have my number and that's why he couldn't just call me ... but HA!  I caught him calling me the other day -- and he tried to pretend that he received a call from my number.  He didn't identify himself .. but if he thinks I don't know his voice .. he's a dumb ass. I even called him out .. and he just hung up.  And another tip off that it was him?  He blocked the number he was calling from  ... yea .. busted.   But don't call me again thinking I'm just going to run back to you with open arms ... because I'm not. 

Then there's idiot number 2 -- another guy that caused me a lot of romantic stress over the years.  I haven't talked to him in almost 2 years because ... um, besides that I wasn't even remotely interested in getting caught up in his drama AGAIN ... I didn't have his number.  The only number I ever had for him was his company cell phone.  I had asked for his personal cell phone a couple of times but he always had some bogus excuse why he couldn't give it to me.  Hence the reason I haven't spoken to him in years.

So last week ... I get this random text from a number I don't recognize that says:  How are you?   I have absolutely no clue who it is .. or where the number is from, so at first I just ignore it and then later decide to reply by saying ... who is this?  About an hour later I get a text back that says "It's Michael, I didn't realize you didn't have this number."   Before I even take much time to think about it, I fire a text back and say:  I think you have the wrong number.  But about 10 minutes later I realize it's "Michael" idiot number 2 .. .and wow ... did a lot of thoughts about the "I didn't realize you didn't have this number" line run through my head.  None of them good.   


So, another hour passes and "Michael" texts "Is this Kathleen?"   This time I take awhile to answer because I have a couple of options .. I could confess it's me, but then ask him never to contact me again, or I could just not answer and blow him off or I could say something else.  I opted to say something else ... I replied "No it's Ron."  Then later he texted " Sorry".  And that is all well and good .. until he calls my number and ends up in my voice mail -- only to hear my voice instead of some guy -- unless I find some guy to re-record the message.  


So along with my thoughts of getting a new number, I started scrolling through my contact list and there are a lot of numbers in there of people I can't even remember.   People I might have met at a bar once or twice, people's numbers I saved with all good intentions of hanging out with ... like Betty ... only to never call or hang out with.  


Then there's that hassle of letting people know about my new number .. and etc.  I don't know it all seems like a headache just to block a couple of people from calling me.  (never mind the people from Indianapolis that dial me by mistake for whatever reason).  


I am eligible for an upgrade with Spring and there is a new EVO on the market that is supposed to be better, faster, etc.  But even so, I'd still have to pay $200 for the damn thing, so it's not that worth it to me.  But changing the number might be .. since Sprint said I could do it over the phone at no charge.  


Ah, decisions decisions, decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment