Sunday, August 5, 2012

My vacation bucket list

So I've been on vacation for the past week and I've done absolutely nothing that I really wanted to do.  In fact, I did nothing at all ... and it really kind of bugs me because when I go back to work people are going to ask me what I did ... and I'm going to tell them my lam-o story. 

This is really nothing new for me. I pretty much don't do much of anything on my vacations because I'm single and feel like a dork going places by myself.  I'm sure there are lots of people out there that travel alone ... but I'm not comfortable with that.  As much as I don't like being around people ... I don't like going to places alone.  

I can go to social events alone ... if I know I'm going to know someone when I get there. Or there are occasions where I'll go alone and not know anybody .. but that's within driving distance of my house ... not halfway across the country.   I've even gone hiking and camping by myself. I've gone to NASCAR races alone because I couldn't find anyone to go with ... and I've done other things alone ... but bottom line ... it's more fun to travel when you are with someone. 

So anyway ... I decided this week that next year when my vacation time resets -- I'm going to do something with my time off ... and enjoy myself ...even if I'm alone.   I was thinking about taking out a personal ad for a traveling companion and for like 4 seconds I thought that would be a good idea.. but then I had flashbacks to a David Duchovny movie called Kalifornia -- where he picked up someone to share the ride with on his cross country trek - -and that dude (Brad Pitt) was a serial killer.   Yeah, I have enough weirdos in my life without any of that drama going on ... so scratch that idea. 

Here's my bucket  list of places I want to go to before I'm dead:  (in no particular order) 


  • Every NASCAR race track on the circuit.  
  • The Grand Canyon and the other national park out there. (Whatever its called)
  • The Hoover Dam
  • Hang out on the beach in San Diego CA. 
  • Key West Florida.  (I don't know what I'd do there ... but what the hell)
  • Gettysburg PA -- the war grounds.   
  • Philadelphia PA  (even though I was there in HS -- I wanna go back as an adult where I can appreciate our history more)
  • Washington DC
  • Newport Rhode Island (I've been here too ... but I loved it, so I want to go back)
  • New England 
  • New York City 
  • Niagara Falls  
  • Toronto Canada
  • Vancouver British Columbia
  • Alaska  (This could be on a cruise though .. because I know from watching Alaska State Patrol that is gets damn cold up there) 
  • England  (I want to see that cute little fishing village where they filmed Doc Martin and the Castle in Downton Abbey)
  • Ireland -- (to see where my peeps come from)
  • Germany -- (so I can drink some beer.) 
  • Skydiving (my friend Deb just did this ... seemed like fun). 
  • Spain  
  • New Orleans  (sober this time)
  • Cedar Point and all the other great roller coaster parks. 
  • Mall of America -- (which is dumb, I can drive there ... I just don't want to go alone okay) 
Okay, I can't think of any more ... I may add more later.    .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment