Saturday, April 14, 2012

The dreaded sock drawer

I have a love hate relationship with my sock drawer.  er ... make that I like/hate.  I like buying new socks -- but apparently I live in black sock hole or something because it never fails that one of the pair ALWAYS disappears and then I'm left with one lonely no match sock.  What the hell do you do with one sock?  Seriously, there is no good use for that ... so then I have to go buy more socks and start that cycle all over again.

Today, after months of thinking about it, I decided to clean out the sock drawer.  I don't know why I waited so damn long because it took me all of 10 minutes.   Here's what it looked like pre-sort:


Now, you'll notice that most of my socks are black .. that's because a. mostly I wear black -- because I'm fat and black is slimming (or so the myth is) and b. because I keep losing my black socks.   There is the occassional white athletic sock in the mix and about 5 pairs of othered colored socks ... but black is pretty much it. 

So here's the what's left after sorting -- the partnerless socks:  athletic:


These white socks are at least 5 years old.  Probably older.  I know this because three of them are Old Navy socks and I haven't bought Old Navy socks in at least 6 years.  I used to LOVE them ... but then, of course, Old Navy changed how they made them and then I never bought them again.  The others are some off target brand that don't stay on your feet.  They slide right off in your shoes which is really really annoying.   These misfits all went right into the trash. 




I found 4 pairs of knee high trouser socks -- and of course, they were perfectly matched and only because a.  I've never worn them because b. I didn't know I had them.  Clearly someone must have given them to me for Christmas ... because there is no way in hell I would have bought them.  Blue, Black, Cream and Gray.   2 pairs still in the package.  I put them in the good pile because maybe I'll wear them ... some year. 


Here's the partnerless pairs.   Now, you would think that because they are all black I could just mix and match right?  Wrong.  They are all different.  Different lengths, different weaves, different variations of black, different feels.   After attempting to examine them under better light .. I was able to make 3 addtiional matches which left 9 ... homeless.  I threw them in the trash.  Sorry ... I couldn't even wish that on homeless people.  Mismatched socks are like having a bad hair day. 

So here's what I was left with:


So in this batch I found some additional socks that I didn't even know I had ... like 4 pairs of gray socks!!! Who knew?  And 2 pairs of brown??   Anyway, everything is all matched again and back in the closest.   And at the moment I'm doing my laundry ... so there is a chance, however slight, that I could find some other onsies to match with the trash socks.   But I'm not holding my breath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment