However long ago when I started this blog, I wanted to have some public accountability to my weight loss journey – at least that was my intent. Just for the record, in all this time, I haven't lost any weight. In fact, I gained weight. So this year ... my new year’s resolution is to just be healthy and work out more. And if I lose weight than that is an added bonus.
Okay, so that last for like a week... I worked out every day and ended up GAINING more weight. Seriously irritated me. So back to the dieting thing again. I reactivated the My Fitness Pal application on my phone and said I was going to stick to 1200 calories a day or die trying.
I think I'm going to die trying. 1200 calories isn't a lot when you think that one slice of cheese pizza is 350. Or a cup of milk is 100. Or a bowl of "good" cereal is 160. Geez ... I seriously could eat 1200 calories in one meal and still be hungry!
And this person, a friend of mine, was trying to motivate me by saying: People on the Biggest Loser can do it ... you can too. Okay... whatever. There is no comparison to the people on the Biggest Loser and me. They are all 80-250 pounds overweight. And they all eat 2000-4000 calories a day ... AND none of them are remotely active. Of course they lose a lot of weight when they go on that show ... They work out for hours every day and they are starving!! I'd lose weight too if I worked out for 8 hours a day and ate 1000 calories.
At best I'm maybe 60 pounds overweight ... if you go by one of those stupid charts at the doctor's office. My Wii Fit has no problem telling me every day that I'm obese ... because my BMI is in the 30's. I eat -- on a normal, non-dieting day -- about 1400 calories. And my BMR which is the amount of calories your body burns just pumping blood through it is 1600 something ... so already I'm that much better than the BL people. Plus I don't have high blood pressure or high cholesterol or any other "fat" people illnesses. I'm just fat ... and pretty damn happy.
And I do work out, although not with any consistency. But at least I make the attempt.
Okay, so last week, in a non-scientific study I noticed that I seem to "snack" alot at work on stuff that I'm not really hungry for and mainly because I'm bored. Maybe it's because I drink a shake for breakfast instead of something I have to chew... I don't know. But this week I decided to chronicle l my eating for the entire week ... and try to find a pattern of behavior that I could possibly modify.
So here it goes. Sunday was my weigh in day. Mr. Scale was nice to me. 206.6.
Day 1 -- Monday.
So the protein shake that I was drinking was about 300 calories when I made it with milk. I would drink it on my commute at 6 a.m. This week I'm going to eat cereal about 8 am to see if the delay makes a difference in the snacking department.
7:45: Ate a bowl of Smart Starts cereal with a half cup of sugar free coconut milk. And I drank my usual 12 oz coffee with peppermint mocha creamer. Total calories for breakfast: 300. I'm already ahead ... last week by this time I had already ate 400 calories.
8:30: Started to feel the urge to snack. Grabbed a piece of gum. Mint flavor.
8:45: My stomach is growling. And it doesn't help that someone nuked something in the kitchen. I attempted to employ the mind/over matter technique to make it to 9:15 before I busted into my snacks. And in a side bar note: I have "stuff" to eat in my desk drawer... which in my opinion is a good thing... Because if it wasn't there --I'd be eating M&M's out of the vending machine at 9 am.
8:55: I caved. Started to munch on a bag of stale popcorn that was in my desk drawer. It's from Friday. And ummm, it's stale. But really salty and good.
9:22 I decided to eat a clementine because by now I was craving something sweet. It was gone is two minutes and it made me wonder why I didn't pack 2. Seriously, these baby oranges are like an appetizer for the real snack.
9:50; Find myself wondering when I can eat again. The popcorn is still on my desk -- but I want some chocolate -- which I also have in my desk drawer -- but am pretending that I forgot about it.
10:15: Finished off the rest of the popcorn bag. I grab another piece of gum because I still want some chocolate.
11:05: Finally lunch time. Gawd, I'm starving. I have to wait in line at the microwave for 10 minutes. Lunch is yummm. I'm having veggie stew and cheesy polenta and a bottle of water. Total calories: 300. For desert, I have one piece of the chocolate mint candy that is in my drawer.
11:53: Another piece of gum ... to get that lunch taste out of my mouth.
12:30: Tossed the gum out. Thinking about a snack now... not that I need it or anything.
1:20: Almost made it an hour without thinking about food. But that's only because I was in a meeting where I had to think about work ... now that the meeting is over, I can't decide if I want a diet mountain dew or a cookie snack from my desk drawer. Or both.
1:30: I went to get the soda ... but pushed the wrong button and ended up with Sierra Mist instead of the Diet Mountain Dew. It’s 100 calories for an 8 oz serving. Hmm, not what I had intended because I definitely want the cookie now. And I noticed on the bottle the "best taste/drink by" date is today. This is a sign that I shouldn't drink it at all. But, does that stop me? No. I drink a little of the soda. AND I eat the cookie. It’s a Fiber One chocolate chip cookie. Doesn't taste like much of anything, but it's very soft. Definitely not worth 90 calories that's for sure.
1:45: Just loaded all my food into the My Fitness Pal app and if I'm "good" the rest of the day, I'll have 360 calories for dinner. With "if" being the operative word here.
2:20: Another piece of gum and not that I really want it ... but it seems to take my mind off eating something else.
2:50: Packing up to go home. I barely drank any of the soda because I thought it had a "funny" taste, although I might just be psycho about expiration date. I leave the building without feeling the need to eat anything else... until I get home.
3:30: I walk in the door and my mother is making from scratch chocolate chip cookies. Hmm, I try so very hard to resist ... but the dough is looking so perfectly prepared ... I ate two spoonful’s. OMG. Water aerobics cannot get here fast enough tonight!!!
5:30: Just got up from my nap .. and when I say nap ... at best I probably snoozed for like 10 minutes. Between Humphrey screaming in my ear and my trying to type this blog... there wasn't really any rest. I went downstairs to eat some dinner. Finish the polenta, which was good because I had been eating it for 4 days and I was getting a little sick of it. Then ate a bowl of Campbells "lite" soup. Total calories for dinner: 300. And that included a glass of milk. So including my chocolate chip cookie dough break-down ... I net 1275 calories for the day. Not too bad, only 75 calories over. Could have been a lot worse.
6:15: I decide that I'm not feeling water aerobics tonight. I don't know why. I don't have a reason other it's fricken cold outside. Instead I go to my work out studio and play on the XBOX for like 90 minutes. I had my heart rate monitor on and my heart rate stayed pretty steadily at 116 for the entire time. Then I switched over to do the Wii Fit for 30 minutes... and ugh, I’m so pissed. I was riding the bike around the island for 20 minutes ... but needed to pee, so I tried to save the fit credits ... and it didn't SAVE it .. so my total workout time according to the Wii was 2 minutes. UGH, so ticked off. And then to make matters worse, it said I gained 2 pounds since yesterday!! So the Wii is not my friend tonight.
The heart rate monitor is however. It said I burned 560 calories for the 2 hours ... Can't complain about that.
Day one is in the bag ... Tomorrow is another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment